Sunday, August 13, 2006

Strange, isn't it?

I always seem to find time for another meme, stupid test or IQ-testing...

On the other hand, there's not much happening around here, except for four days of rain. Oh, and I met this woman that I've been chatting with off and on for the past five years. Really nice young (29 y.o.) lady with a cute little daughter. She and LittleAngel got along fine that brief moment we talked.

Anyway, I've been tagged with a meme about books by LittleMilk. Here we go:

1. A Book that changed your life?
Well, let's see... The Naked Ape by Desmond Morris. I read it in my early teens and I still find myself thinking about the stuff he wrote about humans being nothing more and nothing less than just, although creative, naked apes. And being in my young teens reading it, I vividly remember most of the stuff he wrote about sexual signals... I beleive this book made me more aware of our place in Nature and our responsibilitys towards it.

2. One Book You Have Read More Than Once?
It's much easier to tell what books I haven't read more than once but the book I've found myself read over and over again is *drumroll* Firestarter by Stephen King. I don't know why but the story about this mistreated little girl with supernatural powers appeals to something in me.

3. One Book on a Desert Island?
Only one book? Shit. I would probably drown long before I managed to swim to any island, deserted or not, but if I managed it I would hope to bring The SAS Survival Handbook by John Wiseman. And, if I was allowed to bring one more book, that would be any thick book with lots of pages for my campfire.

4. One Book That Made You Laugh?
Actually, it's a series of books by two Swedish authors, Sören Olsson and Anders Jacobsson. They are about this young boy named Bert. They are hilarious. Bert is in his early teens and very interested in girls. Unfortunately these books are not available in English. Yet.

5. One Book That Made You Cry?
Once again there's a whole array of books to choose from. *went over to the bookshelf to have a look* Well, the book I chose didn't make me cry but it touched me very deeply. It's about a young girl with Cerebral Palsy and her struggle with her training. At the end of the book she's playing basketball. It's called Åsa's journal by Gunnar Ohlander. If you really must know I cried a little at the end of Stephen King's novel Sleepless.

6. One Book You Wish You Had Written?
Winnie the Pooh (A.A. Milne). Or maybe Animal Farm (George Orwell). How about MacBeth? Okay, MacBeth is a playwrite but it's still marvelous.

7. One Book You Wish Had Never Been Written?
I have to turn to Swedish authors again. One book I really hate is a novel by Liza Marklund called Prime Time. If any unknown novellist had written that one, he or she would still be unknown. It's just distgustingly badly written. If I turn to other languages is has to be Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. I have never really understood it's popularity. Yes, it's full of gags and that's just what makes it so bad in my humble opinion. It's a gag megalomania and it's just to much of it. There's no breathing room.

8. One Book You are Currently Reading?
It's been summer, so no heavy books on my side of the bed. I just finished Clive Cussler's Sahara and will possibly start reading Angels and Demons by Dan Brown tonight. (Second time)

9. One Book You Have Been Meaning to Read?

Oooo.. that list could go on forever but the novel that pops right up in my head is Crime and Punishment by Fjodor Dostojevskij. I actually owned a copy of it but lost it somhow when I moved from my parents.


10. Now Tag Five People:
Well... ABB is already spoken for so I'll go for ScandinavianNova (if she still reads this blog), Maidink, Susan D, VirginiaGal and ThatFarmGirl.


In just two days I'm going back to school. Do I really want to? You BET I want!

5 comments:

Littlemilk said...

The Naked Ape! Yes, I ran up on that book in a bookstore but had no time in my life to add it to my growing pile of books.

But you have brought it to the forefront of my mind. I do want to read it.

Thanks.

Virginia Gal said...

I did the post, see my blog. oh also, Clive Cussler, ugh...we had to read him for bookclub - another writer who I can't believe got a publisher!

Susan D. said...

Aaack, a meme! That's ok, it's just going to take me awhile to get around to it - I need to really think hard about some of these questions.

Perhaps one needs to be British or American to enjoy Hitchhiker's Guide? That's certainly a series of books that's made me laugh many a time, and also one I've reread often!

S.I.D. said...

Yes, the Naked Ape, but of course Manwatching had those pictures in it!

Anonymous said...

Scan do read this blog, but if you had been reading hers you would have known that it has been deleted for a long time.