Saturday, January 21, 2006

Anyone for smorgas cake?

Yesterday I promised some pictures for you to drool about. Here they are. Unfortunatly most of the guest had to cancel so guess what we're having for breakfast...

If there's one thing I love more than a Swedish smorgasbord, it's smorgas cake, also known as sandwich layer-cake. I can eat my self sick on those.



This one is as you can see covered with shrimps, tomatoes, cucumber, red onion, lemons, dill and mayonnaise. Unfortunatly it looked better than it tasted. Not that it tasted bad but the filling was a diappointment. Way to much sweet peas and some gooey stuff with salmon in it.
Had I done this myself (and, if I may brag a bit, I'm pretty good at it) I would have covered it with about the same things but add thin slices of smoked salmon and some lumpfish kaviar. As for the filling I would have used a mix of crude mashed shrimps, slices of egg, some red kaviar, very thin slices of tomato and mayonnaise.






This one tasted much better, with cucumber, tangerine, parsley, smoked ham, blue grapes, tomatoes, smoked bacon and of course mayonnaise on top. The filling was liver paté and some other things I couldn't identify. However, this one tasted better than it looked. The only thing I would have changed is that I would have put some sour pickled gherkin in it too.






And here's LazyWorms birthday cake. It's called Queen's cake, lot's of whipped cream, raspberrys and blueberrys. Unfortunatly the berries were so juicy that it flooded over the edges. It still tasted good though.


I'm going to end this evening with a glass of white wine (Californian) and read more about democracy and dictatorship. I might even add a chapter about the Swedish parlament.

7 comments:

PissedOffPencil said...

Well, I think you should gain a pound or two... Wanna eat race with me? ;o)

Virginia Gal said...

How interesting this smorgescake - we don't have anything like that in America.
I'm learning more and more through this blogging.

PissedOffPencil said...

You DON'T??? I just found out how to be a millionaire!!! :D

Anonymous said...

How beautiful the smorgas cakes are! I've never seen anything like this before and would love to try one. Maybe google?

NeoCleo

neocleo1@netscape.net

thatfarmgirl said...

That sandwich layer cake looks very Southern. I can picture my friends in Louisiana whipping one up for a bridal shower! A belated HAPPY BIRTHDAY to LazyWorm.

PissedOffPencil said...

Oh, those cakes are perfect for any occasion, except maybe weddings and funerals. Now that I've posted pictures of them I wouldn't be surprised if they show up in the US very soon. :)

Francesca said...

Wow! I've never seen cakes like that before! Amazing!

Still, I think I'd take LazyWorms cake over the other two anyday! How could I resist berries and whipped cream???!!!!

P.S. I'll have the wine, too!!!

;)